Thursday, August 26, 2010

How I already know my American Lit class is going to be amazing: (we read this aloud today)

Meditation 8 (First Series)
John 6:51: 'I am the living bread.'

"I kenning through astronomy divine
The world's bright battlement, wherein I spy
A golden path my pencil cannot line
From that bright throne unto my threshold lie.
And while my puzzled thoughts about it pour,
I find the bread of life in't at my door.

When that this bird of paradise put in
This wicker cage (my corpse) to tweedle praise
Had pecked the fruit forbad, and so did fling
Away its food, and lost its golden days,
It fell into celestial famine sore,
And never could attain a morsel more.

Alas! Alas! Poor bird, what wilt thou do?
The creatures' field no food for souls e'er gave;
And if thou knock at angels' doors, they show
An empty barrel; they no soul bread have.
Alas! Poor bird, the world's white loaf is done,
And cannot yield thee here the smallest crumb.

In this sad state, God's tender bowels run
Out streams of grace; and He to end all strife
The purest wheat in heaven, His dear-dear Son,
Grinds and kneads up into this bread of life,
Which bread of life from heaven down came and stands
Dished on thy table up by angels' hands.

Did God mold up this bread in heaven, and bake,
Which from His table came, and to thine goeth?
Doth He bespeak thee thus, 'This soul bread take;
Come, eat thy fill of this, thy God's white loaf!
It's food too fine for angels, yet come, take
And eat thy fill. It's heaven's sugar cake.'

What grace is this knead in this loaf? This thing
Souls are but petty things it to admire.
Ye angels, help; this fill would to the brim
Heav'ns whelmed-down crystal meal bowl, yea and higher,
This bread of life dropped in my mouth doth cry:
'Eat, eat me, soul, and thou shalt never die.' "

---Edward Taylor, 1642-1729

If you read the whole thing...(which if you didn't, really, go back and read each word), my goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment